Rolling Grizzlies


This week I got to go to a Rolling Grizzlies practice. This is Memphis’ official wheelchair basketball team. This was an incredible experience. In my opinion, wheelchair basketball is much more intense than traditional basketball. I learned the rules are only slightly modified to work with the needs of the wheelchairs, and there is much more contact. 

I was presented with this opportunity through my neurological aspects class, but wheelchairs are a big personal interest of mine, so as you can imagine I was very excited and had over a million questions for the team. 

I was surprised to hear they have trouble getting sponsors and recruitment is an issue for them. The current coach even said it took him ten years just to find the team. If possible I would love to find a way to work with the team to improve their PR. They are such a talented group that, with the right exposure and opportunities, could share this talent with so many people.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Diving and Community Lecture

post interview reflection

Leadership Glyf