Assistive Technology



Something I learned from the online class material was what Assistive Technology (AT) is. I already had a slight understanding of what AT is (we’ve all seen the Apple commercial), instead I should say I learned more about what AT is. 

Something interesting I learned about it was the levels of AT. What I thought was AT turns out to just be high tech AT. There are actually three level of AT: low tech, medium tech, and high tech. These levels go from things that are easy to make or obtain, low in cost and difficulty to use, and amount of training needed, to more expensive and require more training for use, as you go up from low tech to high tech. I wouldn’t think that a pencil grip was necessarily AT when you compare it to an iPad, but it makes a lot more sense that one is considered low tech and the other high tech.

I also learned about some of the other myths about AT. It can be used for all ages, and all variations of disabilities. AT can be different for anyone who uses it. AT can range in level of tech, price, and how often it is used. I think the word technology throws us off. Like stated in professor Lancaster’s Prezi, we tend to think “it’s only computer stuff”, but it can be something as simple as a weighted spoon. AT has a much larger spectrum then people, including myself, initially think.

Comments

  1. I think you hit the nail on the head about why the term "Assistive Technology" is so often misunderstood, Emily. Although the word technology is most often associated with high tech things like iPads and computers, technology actually means "machinery and equipment developed from the application of scientific knowledge" (Webster's Dictionary, 2016). That's why even a paperclip, Velcro, or a pencil grip qualifies.There's such a parallel to our profession there, and I'm glad you pointed that out!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Diving and Community Lecture

post interview reflection

Leadership Glyf